Tuesday, March 12, 2013

Why survive in a Navy World when you can Thrive?


Surviving is great, what doesn’t kill us makes us stronger, right?  Why would you want to simply survive Navy life when you can conquer it and leave feeling accomplished?  When I married my sailor I was almost 30; I had my fair share of roommates, jobs, living on my own and traveling.  While my experience was chock-full with less than successful attempts at embracing life I think in a lot of ways they all prepared me for the challenges of being a Navy Spouse.  This is the first in what I intend to be a series of posts on thriving in the Navy world.  Here is a little taste of what has worked for me and what I have learned from being around other spouses.

Realistic Expectations:  I am sure you are familiar with the serenity payer.  Well in navy life it is almost a requirement to except there are very few things that you can control. So, take ownership of the things you can. (But don’t go crazy control freak on me here that defeats the purpose.)  The most important thing you have control over is your point of view and how you choose to react to a situation.

Know your Resources and Benefits:  I am by no means experienced in all things and you don’t have to be either. What you do need to know is how to where to look and educate yourself.  If you’re not your own advocate (and your families) no one will.

Get out of the house!  I have a lot more to add to this one but for now interpret this one as you see fit.

Find your Passion: Find something that makes you happy and give yourself permission to do something for yourself. 
Embrace your Home:  Home is where the Navy sends us.  Make the best of each duty station regardless if it is shore duty in the middle of Missouri or Pearl Harbor.

Each of these points is a post or more on their own so look out there is more to come.  Don’t say I didn’t warn you. 

No comments:

Post a Comment